Looking for a fun DIY project? Try this super cute and easy pet bandana! Download the free design from Pay it Forward, and you’ll be on your way.
This pattern, which is reversible, slips through your pet’s collar so that it stays in place. It is easy to slip on and off, so washing is a snap. This pattern fits a mid-sized dog, so you may want to adjust it a couple of inches to make it smaller or larger depending on the size of your pet.
I made this one with drop cloth fabric, which was a little difficult to work with but I wanted to personalize it with craft paint.
To make one like it, you will need:
• paper for stencils
• fabric of your choice
• downloaded pattern
• craft paint in the color(s) of your choice.
Mine was pretty generic, but wouldn’t it be fun to paint one for the holidays?
1. Download and trace pattern. The finished fabric will be in two egg-shaped pieces. Pin these together with right sides in.
2. Sew around the outside of the fabric with a small seam, leaving about a 1 1/2 inch opening to turn fabric through the seam. Run the machine back and forth on each side of the opening to strengthen the seam. Remove from machine and remove excess from seam for neater corners and turning. Turn fabric through the opening and hand stitch the 1 1/2 inch open seam to close. (You could also topstitch all the way around if you are better at straight seams than I am!)
3. Fold the fabric over your pet’s collar to see how big the seam should be. Mark and stitch across so that the collar can easily fit through the opening.
4. Now for stenciling, the fun part! I chose the Papyrus regular font to make Lucky’s name. I simply printed it across copy paper in the size that fit and used an Xacto knife to cut clean lines around the type.
5. Cut around the whole stencil so that you can place it on the bandanna. Tape in place and use craft paint and a sponge to dab paint on the stencil. I also added some paws for decoration.
Let dry, slip through the collar and your pet is ready to model!
“Does this bandana make my butt look big?”
Want to see more pet stuff like this? You can also be up on our latest giveaways, events and special deals by signing up for our newsletter. It’s the cat’s meow!